July 1, 2014 - JDS is excited to welcome our new Head of School Hamutal Gavish to JDS and the Seattle area. Hamutal comes to Seattle from Northern California where she was Campus Head of the K-8 Brandeis Hillel Day School's Marin Campus.
BACK TO SCHOOL - FALL 2014
IMPORTANT DATES IN SEPTEMBER TO REMEMBER & THE 2014-2015 SCHOOL YEAR CALENDAR
Below are some important dates, so please mark your calendar:
- Thursday, August 28th - PA Back to School Picnic
- Tuesday, September 2nd - First Day of School
- Thursday, September 4th - Back to School Night - 6:30-8:30
- Friday, September 5th - Welcoming Assembly - 8:35
- Monday-Wednesday, September 8th-10th - 6th Grade Camp Seymour
- Monday-Tuesday, September 8th-9th - 7th Grade Bellevue Challenge course
- Monday, September 15th - Picture Day
- Wednesday, September 24th - 11:45 am Dismissal Erev Rosh Hashana
- Thursday-Friday, September 25th-26th School Closed for Rosh Hashana
Click here to see our 2014-2015 Calendar at a Glance.
SCHOOL COMMUNICATION, ACCESS & RESOURCES
There are a number of resources to ensure our parents are always up to date. Please take a look at the communication elements below designed to keep you informed.
- eAlon - Our weekly school email is sent to families, generally on Friday mornings. Also stay up to date by following us on Twitter and Facebook.
- Class Newsletter/Blog/Homework/ParentsNet - Each grade and teaching team updates parents via Classrooms Online. Teachers have not yet prepared their blogs for the new year, but by the first day of school, they will be available via ParentsNet and in each week's eAlon newsletter. New parents will receive a email with instructions of how to access ParentsNet next week.
- Urgent Communications - JDS follows Bellevue Public Schools with regard to weather related closures and delays. In addition, JDS uses a Parent Alert system for urgent messages when possible. Contact the Front Office if you have questions.
DOCUMENTS & FORMS
Below are links to PDFs of important documents and forms. Please review them and, if needed, print then complete and return to the Front Office. There are three ways to return your completed documents/forms:
- Hand deliver to the Front Office
- Mail them to: JDS Front Office
15749 NE 4th Street
Bellevue, WA 98008
72 Hour Emergency Preparedness Plan
In case of a school emergency, please review our JDS school procedures designed for the safety of your children. Note that in the event of an emergency on campus, our families are notified via a ParentAlert message sent to the cell phone numbers you have on file with the school.
For more information about JDS and school procedures, please refer to our Parent Handbook throughout the year.
Medication Permission Form
If your child will be taking medication at school, please complete this form and return it to the Front Office.
JDS is pleased to partner with Lunch Ladies Catering and orderlunches.com to provide a secure, fast and easy-to-use online ordering system that allows parents to view lunch menus, order, prepay and manage student lunches online. Registration is now open and orders are being taken for September. Please click here for direction on how to set up your account, view menus and sign up for lunch.
Bus Transportation Form
JDS offers bus transportation to campus. The form outlines the two routes. Please contact the Front Office if you have any questions.
After School Care with Kidstown (Elementary Students)
JDS is pleased to continue its partnership with the Stroum Jewish Community Center's Kidstown for after school care on the JDS campus. This year Kidstown is pleased to announce an enhanced program lead by Ilanit Inbar that will now include Hebrew Language learning and rich cultural experiences. Hebrew will be seamlessly integrated as kids play games, cook, create art and science projects, sing, explore Israel and build community - all while having afterschool fun. All children will be able to participate regardless of their Hebrew language skills. Please click here for directions on how to register for Kidstown.
Kidstown is not a JDS program, so parents must register and make payments through the SJCC. Kidstown operates for the 10 month school year. To register for kidstown, please click here.
Early Childhood at JDS is pleased to offer an Extended Day Program for the 2014-15 school year. This program is open to regularly enrolled Early Childhood students and will feature rich, engaging experiences in a developmentally appropriate environment.
JDS will hold ParentTeacher conferences in the fall on Monday, November 10th and Tuesday, November 11th, and in the spring on Monday March 16th and Tuesday, March 17th. Conference hours are 8:00 am - 5:00 pm on Monday and 8:00 am - 1:00 pm on Tuesday. An Early Childhood - Grade 5 conference sign up form is linked above. Sign-ups will be taken through October 1st and you will be assigned the same days/times for both fall and spring. Late submissions will be processed in the order received after the initial round of scheduling is complete. Middle School conferences will be in an arena format in the FAR on those days and are not scheduled for a specific time. Middle school students are highly encouraged to participate in their conferences. There will be no regularly scheduled student classes on conference days. “School’s Out” Camp will be held at the JCC on conference days for those families looking for full day care and activities for their children. If you need care for your JDS student while you attend his/her conference, drop-in care will be available for that purpose.
The JDS Parent's Association offers weekly Challah delivery. To learn more about it and sign up, please click here.
MIDDLE SCHOOL PARENTS
6th Grade Parents
During the second week of school, our 6th grade students will journey to Camp Seymour for a incredible adventure. Please click here to read a letter from HaMorah Susan about camp and the experience.
- Camp Seymour Packing List for 6th Graders
- Click here if your student will need to take medication with them to Camp Seymour
All Middle School Parents
Middle School Supplies
Please click here to see the list of supplies needed for Middle School Students.
Laptop Agreement and Distribution
Incoming sixth grade families and any new seventh or eighth grade families are required to provide a $250 damage deposit in order for laptops to be issued to their student. Please complete and return the Parent Laptop Agreement and your check for $250 for the damage deposit to the Front Office. Laptops will not be issued without these two items.
Middle School Competitive Athletics Program
GETTING INVOLVED AT JDS
We are proud of the JDS Strategic Plan and excited that this fall we begin implementing it. The strategic plan is our roadmap and it contains many opportunities for involvement in both the school and the community. Early in the fall, we will share how you can get involved at JDS.
JDS - A KING COUNTY GREEN SCHOOL
JDS is a Level 3 King County Green School. We have both an elementary and middle school green team which initiate green projects on campus and serve as student leaders and role models for their peers and the JDS community. We hope that you will help us live the Jewish principle of Tikkun Olam and do your part. (See the parent tips below.) As a school, we communicate paper-free as often as possible so please check your email or classroom websites for important information from the school. If your child is interested in being a green team member, they can notify their teacher who will ensure they are able to sign up and participate as green leaders.
Leshomra, the JDS Green Initiative, encourages the following practices:
- No Idling. Please turn off your car while waiting to pick up your child.
- Pack snacks and lunches in reusable containers - we encourage "no waste" lunches and snacks. We do have to measure and document the amount of waste put in our campus trash containers.
- Buy bulk instead of individually packaged items for snacks and lunches.
- Dress your child in layers to anticipate weather fluctuations.